April 19, 2024, 04:49:03 AM

Author Topic: Casey Kasem Dies at 82  (Read 3382 times)

Offline TWCC_VernonMetcalf

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24788
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Casey Kasem Dies at 82
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
Zoinks! Radio host and TV personality Casey Kasem, known for his role as Shaggy on many incarnations of "Scooby Doo" and host of Nick at Nite's Rerun/Classic TV/TV Hits Countdowns from 1989 until 1998, has died at the age of 82. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6106420/casey-kasem-dies-radio-host-voice-actor-dead-82

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem Dies at 82
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »
Zoinks! Radio host and TV personality Casey Kasem, known for his role as Shaggy on many incarnations of "Scooby Doo" and host of Nick at Nite's Rerun/Classic TV/TV Hits Countdowns from 1989 until 1998, has died at the age of 82. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6106420/casey-kasem-dies-radio-host-voice-actor-dead-82

He's actually also famous for his American Top 40, which I believe Ryan Seacrest now hosts.  He had that job for many years until he left abruptly over a dispute with producers, hosted his own Top 40 show for ten years and then came back to his old show....before retiring.

I remember his Long Distance Dedications he'd read during the show and then play the requested song.  It was really neat.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
He's actually also famous for his American Top 40, which I believe Ryan Seacrest now hosts.
I believe he covered that with "radio host." :)

From what I understand, it sounds like his family pretty much abandoned him. He was missing for awhile a few weeks ago. Very sad. Although I preferred "Rick Dees and the Weekly Top 40" growing up, I have fond memories of listening to Casey. And Scooby Doo was my favorite cartoon growing up.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TWC Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 099
  • SD WxStar ID #: ?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »
I just heard about it just now a couple a min's ago. He will be missed for all the work that we all know about.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
I don't know why but a few weeks ago when I heard about all this bizarre family drama of Casey had gone missing and fighting for custody over his well being, for some reason I felt like his days may have been numbered. There were a lot of reports that he had been very ill recently. I wonder how long he had been ill because the Yahoo! article I read this morning said he was suffering from Parkinson's and Dementia and his last work was providing the voice for Shaggy's dad back in 2010. I guess it must of have been not too long after that.

Unfortunately, we've lost legendary greats in fours, instead of threes over the past month: Maya Angelou, Ann B. Davis, Ruby Dee, and now Casey Kasem. :(

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!"

The first American Top 40 show was July 3, 1970 (around the time of Scooby-Doo) when the #1 hit was "Mama Told Me Not to Come" by Three Dog Night.  The Top 10 Songs that week (ending July 11, 1970) was the last time The Beatles and Elvis Presley would both have hits in that list.

His last American Top 20 show's #1 hit was Shinedown's "Second Chance".
"Success doesn't happen in a vacuum. You're only as good as the people you worth with, and the people you work for.  I've been lucky; I've worked for and with the very best!" -Casey Kasem: July 3, 2009
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:46:32 PM by twcc_Weatherstar4000 fan :) »

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 427
  • SD Channel #: 06
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!"
Amen.