March 28, 2024, 03:52:46 PM

Author Topic: ABC 7 Crew Detained  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
ABC 7 Crew Detained
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
my apologizes...but i just think this is ridiculous.

--------------------------------

Police detain ABC-7 crew covering crash

EL PASO, Texas -- An ABC-7 crew covering a crash on I-10 on Monday unwillingly became part of the story.

Motorists stuck in traffic witnessed veteran journalist Darren Hunt and photojournalist Ric Dupont being handcuffed and detained.

Just after 1:30 p.m., the two arrived to report on a flipped semi-truck on I-10 West near the Sunland Park exit. They parked on the left shoulder of the eastbound lanes of I-10 as witnesses ran toward victims to offer help.

A pregnant woman sat on the side of the freeway, sobbing, and, according to a witness, several men in military fatigues helped pull the driver of the semi-truck out of the cab.

As emergency crews tended to the driver, police Sgt. Raul Ramirez told the ABC-7 crew from across the barrier to leave. Several people and half a dozen cars were also stopped on the eastbound shoulder.

Darren continued to try to get information from the men in fatigues when the situation began to escalate. The sergeant jumped the barrier and told Darren to get in the truck (an ABC-7 news unit) and leave, then held Darren with his hands behind his back to the side of the truck belonging to a witness that was parked on the shoulder.

"I'm not doing anything," Darren said repeatedly.

Darren and Ric were handcuffed, read their Miranda rights and taken to the Westside Regional Command Center. They were released within a few minutes. The entire incident lasted about an hour.

The El Paso Police Department has launched an investigation.

"It's unfortunate that any time the member of the public or the news media feels that they've been treated unfairly by any member of our department, and so, that's a very serious type of allegation - something that we have to ensure that we investigate completely, and that's what we're doing here and conducting an investigation," said El Paso police spokesman Javier Sambrano said.

Two members of the El Paso Police Department reviewed the video at ABC-7 studios and took a copy for Police Chief Greg Allen. Their department of internal affairs is reviewing the incident.

ABC-7 reporter Darren Hunt and photojournalist Ric Dupont will be contacting the department of internal affairs as a result of the incident.

Sgt. Ramirez has been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation.

Police ask anyone who witnessed the incident to call them at 564-7000.

Watch the video for yourself by clicking on the video link with this story.

(
)

--------------------------------

i know officers have power, but this is an example of abuse of the power. honestly i think both parties are at fault, however after half way through the video where the officer shoved the reporter into the fence, i quickly switched sides.

i also understand that the officer was doing his job and trying to keep people safe, but after he ran after the reporter who was leaving, that's where i think he made his mistake.

here's my comment i put on youtube:

the sergeant is a disgrace to the force and should be relieved from duty. abuse of power to the max.

the reporter handled the situation just the way the sergeant did, until the sergeant lost it, he shouldn't have pushed the reporter into the fence and tell him to "shut up" -- not only is that against freedom of speech, its being recorded for gods sake...are you an idiot?

not all officers are like this, just the really stupid ones.

your thoughts?

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
Re: ABC 7 Crew Detained
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05:46 PM »
Good. News people act like savages. They need to get the hell out, so that  emergency services can do their job without any distractions.

BTW, I skimmed through, so maybe I missed some big thing in there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:10:15 PM by Gil »
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »
Didn't an incident about a police officer take place like 2 weeks ago in TX too?

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
I think that the news crew should have respected the officers, so they could get their job done.  But, I also think the officer did go a little too far with things.

But this happened with Jorma Duran a couple years back, correct?  THey got taken into custody because they didn't follow police orders.  Rules are Rules.  Police are higher than a regular person, just listen to them, and get the story later.

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Totally uncalled for. This is one more reason why I hate cops. As soon as they see a TV camera their ego grows 10x and the power goes to their head. He could have just as easily walked the guys over to their truck and they would have left. The reporter nor the camera man did anything worthy of having them arrested.