April 18, 2024, 12:17:15 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Winter Classic On New Year's Day  (Read 1480 times)

Offline NYCTWCjunkie

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 454
  • SD Channel #: 204
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20900
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
2009 Winter Classic On New Year's Day
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't know how many of you are aware of this very special event in the sports world, but anyone that follows hockey and meteorology like I do will find this to be a game you cannot resist checking out.

Today at Wrigley Field in Chicago, it is the site of the second outdoor National Hockey League game in the United States. In a matchup of two Original Six teams, the Chicago Blackhawks will host the defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings.  It is not the first outdoor game in NHL history as the Heritage Classic was played on November 22, 2003 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  That day, the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Edmonton Oilers by a score of 4-3. One year ago today, the first such game was played on American soil as the Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the host Buffalo Sabres 2-1 with Sidney Crosby scoring the shootout-winning goal before 70,000+ fans at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York.

What does this have anything to do with the weather, you ask?  As you know, NHL games are played indoors. The first outdoor game was a rousing success even though American viewers were not able to see it on live television. Last year, Americans got to watch on NBC. This event may be to some a novelty event, but if you love hockey, love winter weather and want to be that kid playing pond hockey, the 2009 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic is a must see.

In order for this event to be played, one important part of the planning process is keep a very close eye on the weather in Chicago. This time of year it is just the beginning of the really cold and snowy season.  Certainly another great setting for an outdoor NHL game, Wrigley Field is usually the full-time home of Major League Baseball's Chicago Cubs, but over the last several days, the venue has been converted to house a regulation size NHL rink placed where the baseball field usually sits. Certainly a setting worth seeing.

The weather forecast for today's game will be excellent and hopefully will go without a hitch.

For more information and full coverage on the 2009 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic game, go to its official site via NHL.com.

Catch the game right now on NBC in the United States and CBC in Canada!
I want to hear your thoughts about both sides of this event... the game and the weather surrounding it.  :yes:

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Winter Classic On New Year's Day
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »
Yep.
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline NYCTWCjunkie

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 454
  • SD Channel #: 204
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20900
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »
In case anyone is curious, Jim Cantore was shown from the Wrigley Field scoreboard and just reported on the weather conditions.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
I'm watching. In fact, I just mentioned about Jim in another thread.  :yes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
HA! Jim was just on again and he had the NBC sports logo painted on his head!  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Jim's coming back on in just a few minutes...
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?