May 12, 2024, 10:37:27 AM

Author Topic: YUCK at Skytracker  (Read 1818 times)

Offline sonicdoommario

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245/845
YUCK at Skytracker
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
What in god's hell did TWC do to my one of my favorite radars? That new font doesn't fit in well at all. Not to mention, Why are those interstate labels this big?

Not to mention, people like Robinson who tilt/rotate it. What's the meaning of that? It gives me headaches to piece the map together. I'm used to seeing my maps flat and upright, not tilted back and flipped upside down.

Offline sonicdoommario

• View Profile
Re: YUCK at Skytracker
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »
Ok, I guess it was some different system (sky1/2/3/4/etc), but we'll have to see if this is on a consistent basis.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
I likewise prefer the old flat map radars and NEXRAD radars they used earlier this decade. I don't like how SkyTracker is just one huge map and they zoom it in and out, move it around, etc. It's also weird seeing the OCM's carry five remotes with them to control the radars.

I'm sure they'll eventually completely eliminate the old radars though, as many stations use the radar's like TWC's SkyTracker. Many local stations here haven't even used flat map radars at all in at least 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:10:14 PM by MikeM2010 »

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
I'm expecting with the HD transition, the static radars (radars unmovable, unlike Skytracker) will become extinct on TWC. There's really no need for them anymore... and while Skytracker isn't my favorite radar... I'm sure TWC will have a nicer, newer version of Skytracker in HD. WSI has come out with some really neat radars in the past few years which many local stations use... so I anticipate TWC will follow.

Local stations here have used radars similar to Skytracker for over way 5 years now.

Offline sonicdoommario

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »
What baffles me is why skytracker images aren't used at weather.com. Me being a Weather Gold subscriber, I get an interactive radar which has the MS Live Maps with a radar overlay.

I just hope that if skytracker is affected by the HD transition, PLEASE don't turn it into the eye candy monster. You know, those radars which have 250 sweep lines that are fake on their radar.

Yeah, I don't like how skytracker needs like 5 clickers to use.

Whatever happened to Jim Cantore operating it at the desk? I loved the red mouse and those zoom boxes that showed how many miles across the screen you'd zoom in with. I now hate how Cantore has that RIGHT NOW WEATHER banner on skytracker. Makes cities hard to read.