April 28, 2024, 10:55:33 AM

Author Topic: Why The Weather Channel is Naming Winter Storms  (Read 17013 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Why The Weather Channel is Naming Winter Storms
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
TWC naming winter storms is strange and odd.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
TWC has named its third winter storm.  "Caesar" is the one striking the Upper Midwest.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
Was going to make a topic about the storm names but Imma just revive this because I just tuned into TWC and noticed a storm named Virgil. And Virgil is almost at the end of that list on the first post.

What would happen if TWC were to run out of those names on that list? I mean, it's possible that Virgil *may* be the last storm of the winter season but hypothetically, what if they run out of names after the very last one? Do you think they may have a backup list? Or use Greek names like in hurricanes?

Also, I know this may be asked before but I just wanted to know regardless: How do you feel about TWC naming these storms now? Is it as useful as hurricanes? Confusing?
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
I've always wondered that too, Ana! :lol:  I think they probably had a backup list just in case.

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch all of that 30-minute special "A Storm Named Winter" but did see a little tidbit where a Latin high school class created four new name lists.  Why a Latin class would be doing this is beyond me. <_<  To be honest, I am not really sure if that was just for fun or if TWC was seriously considering using the new names the class came up with.  But I personally thought it was a serious effort, and if so, then it looks like TWC may continue naming winter storms in the future.

Judging by some posts on TWC's Facebook page, I know quite a few people dislike TWC naming winter storms.  But, on the other hand, others don't seem to mind it.  And, especially after "Nemo," a lot of other companies and stations seemed to pick up the naming (for example, I heard a reporter on ESPN mention the name "Nemo").  So TWC will have to consider quite a lot in deciding whether to name winter storms in the future.

Like I said, I was unable to catch that special on the naming of winter storms, so it's possible that what I just said and more was covered in that special.  Let me know what I missed for those of you who saw it.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
If they have a backup list of names, they haven't told anyone about it.  I doubt they had one when they launched this idea, so they better start thinking of one now or make the threshold harder to gain naming status.  It would be better if they came forward and gave us their criteria for naming that would allow everything to be objective and transparent.  Until they do, the rest of the scientific community won't take this idea with any merit going forward into future winter seasons.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
TWC is now on its 24th named storm, with only 2 remaining (Y and Z).  With us being well into spring, it's probably unlikely that they will run out, but who would have thought we would have had two named storms in April?! :blink:

Offline Ice Man

• Lord of Winter
  • Embrace the chill of the longest night
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21691
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
TWC is now on its 24th named storm, with only 2 remaining (Y and Z).  With us being well into spring, it's probably unlikely that they will run out, but who would have thought we would have had two named storms in April?! :blink:

I'm actually surprised that they didn't run out. Not because their parameters for a named storm are too generous, but because it's much easier to wind up with multiple winter storm systems at the same time than it is with hurricanes, which have a tendency to come one-at-a-time.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
I wonder if it would be possible in theory for a winter storm name to be retired, like hurricane names, e.g. if the storm caused many casualties.  In addition, I wonder if TWC has six separate lists for winter storms much like the six lists used for hurricanes that are used every year in six-year cycles.

If I had to throw out a guess as to why TWC is doing this now, I would suppose that it helps them to be able to cover these storms extensively.  I feel that TWC anticipates and enjoys covering hurricanes, and they want to be able to keep the excitement going during the winter months when there normally aren't any.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »

I'm actually surprised that they didn't run out. Not because their parameters for a named storm are too generous, but because it's much easier to wind up with multiple winter storm systems at the same time than it is with hurricanes, which have a tendency to come one-at-a-time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they DID run out. The rockies still get winter storms during April and at times, early May. It's not uncommon to find snow in the mountainous areas of ID/MT/WY. While I hope it's not major enough to get named, if they do run out of names it makes me think if they have a backup list of names similar to how they use Greek names after running of Atlantic Hurricane names.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
We had a clown fish (Nemo) a while back, and now we have a bear with a green tie (Yogi).  Anyway, someone asked TWC what would happen in the event that the list was used up, and the answer just aired.  A new list has been submitted to TWC, apparently by a school class.  The first name on the new list would be Achilles if I heard right.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »
Well guys, it happened.  TWC has restarted the alphabet with "Winter Storm Achilles."

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 12:40:56 AM »
Well guys, it happened.  TWC has restarted the alphabet with "Winter Storm Achilles."
Ugh.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »

Somehow, I just knew it would.  :rolleyes:  I guess this will hold them over for one more month until the start of the Atlantic hurricane season.