Present - The Weather Channel 2000 > Everything Else TWC

Local Now - The Weather Channel's New Over-The-Top Network

(1/5) > >>

livefromButler:
Hello everyone.  As of recently, TWC launched Local Now, a 24/7 Local Information Channel that streams exclusively on web television provider Sling TV.  The channel uses graphics that have a slight TWC feel to them, especially in the forecast segment.  The Akko font is used throughout the graphics, and Jim Cantore narrates most of the segments.  The entire cycle is roughly 5 minutes in length.

The lineup of segments currently is:
Local Now ID Bumper (0:05)
60now Bumper (0:05) "All the latest news, in 60 seconds"
60now Segment (1:00) - Associated Press
Weather Bumper (0:03) "Here's how the weather is shaping up in your area"
Weather Segment (0:59) - The Weather Channel
   Current Conditions (0:09) "Currently in our area, (temp) degrees, (condition phrase)"
   Doppler Radar (0:11) "The radar loop shows the movement of precipitation over your area, over the past three        hours.
   36 Hour Forecast + 7 Day Outlook (0:39) follows IntelliStar 2 style, except 7 Day: "Here's the outlook for your week ahead!"
Traffic Bumper (0:04) "Traffic Information coming up for your area, now!"
   Traffic Map Segment (0:14)
   "Key Routes" Segment (0:24)
Local News and Sports Bumper (0:04) "And now your latest local news and sports headlines"
   Local Headlines (0:25) - Associated Press
   Local Sports (0:25) - Associated Press
   Sports Scores (1:00) - sportradar.us

The channel shows an LDL which displays current time, current segment, and forecasts for local cities.
Here is a clip I recorded early this morning.

https://youtube.com/v/uZGuilX0j7I

Tyler:
I've watched the feed and j can say it's disappointing. The weather isn't local. If anything it's less local than LOT8s because the feed is for the nearest major city, not the nearest cable headend. Also the maps look unprofessional (bing maps, really?). All in all it is sloppy and seems rushed to me.

toxictwister00:
I agree with Tyler, I'm not impressed either. I think it could use some "touching up". Since it's still early, I guess it's still possible some things graphically/timing will change.

alex979:
What's even the point of this?

The AP news/sports segments are kind of useless, IMO. Do they expect people to sit and just watch random sound bytes, or simple headlines appearing on the screen? People can get more info in the same amount of time by pulling out their phones. This whole thing seems very sloppily done, and not particularly well thought out. Luckily it doesn't look like they spent too much money on it.

Mike M:
Can they keep the volume of the voiceovers consistent? So Jim is not SHOUTING on one screen and the next he's whispering?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version