April 27, 2024, 09:38:27 AM

Author Topic: Is anyone else's TWC feed down?  (Read 43443 times)

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Is anyone else's TWC feed down?
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
Interesting thought that just occured to me-we beleive that the cause of TWC's problems was a power surge that destroyed equipment (or at the very least damaged it). But could that really be the case? I mean, wouldn't you think they'd have some sort of surge protection/supression in place, to prevent catastrophes such as this? I mean, you'd think any company whose very operation and livelihood depends solely on computers and other electronics which are very delicate and easily destroyed by power surges would take some kind of steps to  protect their equipment from these kinds of issues.  :unsure:
We had a surge at the station back in July of last year, it all depends on the power of the surge I guess.. There are some systems that can handle it and some that can't.. For example, the video source switcher, if it gets over 5V of power, it will turn off.. But if it gets more then 5v of power like lets say 100v of power, it will detect that and turn off, but the voltage would be so high it could bypass it and fry the switcher... Thats talking small voltage tho. This surge at TWC was enough to fry some equipment and knock out everything in the process.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »
Interesting thought that just occured to me-we beleive that the cause of TWC's problems was a power surge that destroyed equipment (or at the very least damaged it). But could that really be the case? I mean, wouldn't you think they'd have some sort of surge protection/supression in place, to prevent catastrophes such as this? I mean, you'd think any company whose very operation and livelihood depends solely on computers and other electronics which are very delicate and easily destroyed by power surges would take some kind of steps to  protect their equipment from these kinds of issues.  :unsure:
We had a surge at the station back in July of last year, it all depends on the power of the surge I guess.. There are some systems that can handle it and some that can't.. For example, the video source switcher, if it gets over 5V of power, it will turn off.. But if it gets more then 5v of power like lets say 100v of power, it will detect that and turn off, but the voltage would be so high it could bypass it and fry the switcher... Thats talking small voltage tho. This surge at TWC was enough to fry some equipment and knock out everything in the process.

Yeah, we're talking about a fairly major surge here. The kind that TWC should've been protected against. The very fact that some systems are more delicate than others is precisely why you'd think they'd be protected. You can't protect against every small surge, but you certainly can and should protect against something of this magnitude.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
Got to hand it to them though, they went in to disaster control and have done a really good job so far. I'd hate to be working on the night of the aforementioned events.

Some small information here, master control is being run by Airboss right now, versus Saturn.

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:08 AM »
What are the technical differences between Airboss and Saturn?
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »
I swore i just heard a 3 minute long lf. Then commercials started, and Jennifer Lopez was right in the middle doing a forecast :blink:

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
Lets look at this from something we all know, graphics applications..

Airboss is like MS Paint, Saturn is like Adobe Photo Shop.

Satrun is much more effcent when it comes to timing and event scheduling. Airboss is good at timing and scheduling, but all it does is switch sources and doesnt play the clips its self. Saturn actually plays the files its self using a file server.

I think Saturn is back up now, scheduled events seem to be running on cue.

What are the technical differences between Airboss and Saturn?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
So when will the lf errors be fixed? :unsure:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »
Got to hand it to them though, they went in to disaster control and have done a really good job so far. I'd hate to be working on the night of the aforementioned events.

Some small information here, master control is being run by Airboss right now, versus Saturn.

I agree totally with that. They did a fine job of getting back on the air as quickly as they could. Those whose job it was to get that done should be proud of the job they did.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

I agree totally with that. They did a fine job of getting back on the air as quickly as they could. Those whose job it was to get that done should be proud of the job they did.
I would love to know what water equipment failed, I doubt TWC will release a press release about this as I doubt they will want to show it off, lol.. But their recovery is something to be proud of.

I've got a group of friends at TWC who I hope to hear from and get the details!

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
Did TWc apologize for the outage?

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »

I would love to know what water equipment failed, I doubt TWC will release a press release about this as I doubt they will want to show it off, lol.. But their recovery is something to be proud of.

I've got a group of friends at TWC who I hope to hear from and get the details!

Yeah I'd certainly love to here the details of what happened. Hopefully that group of friends of yours will be able to get you some info.  :sunglasses: