March 28, 2024, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1877056 times)

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #9436 on: February 17, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
Hey, at least it means TWC was covering weather, so I'll take it!  Is thundersnow Jim Cantore's favorite weather condition?  It sounds like it to me.  :happy:

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #9437 on: February 19, 2015, 12:45:23 AM »
i seen the Jim Cantore thundersnow clip, i say this as a pro wrestling fan, Jim is "Marking out" like crazy

for those who aren't pro wrestling fans, here's what the term marking out means via the urban dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Marking+Out

anyway, moving on, i was channel surfing and ran into The Weather Channel HD Feed on Dish ch. 214 (Dish is my provider) which right now is airing "Highway Thru Hell", and i noticed now you see the the time and temp for all the cities in the US on the bottom half of the screen during the show and even on the ad break, the local forcecast is still shown. i checked the SD feed too and it's only on the HD Feed. in fact i have taken 2 pics of this, one from when the ads were on the other when the show was back from commercial. these two pics were taken from my tablet's webcam pointed at my TV set, so sorry for the quality
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:40:31 AM by willh699 »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:46 AM »
anyway, moving on, i was channel surfing and ran into The Weather Channel HD Feed on Dish ch. 214 (Dish is my provider) which right now is airing "Highway Thru Hell", and i noticed now you see the the time and temp for all the cities in the US on the bottom half of th screen during the show and even on the ad break, the local forcecast is still shown. i checked the SD feed too and it's only on the HD Feed. in fact i have taken 2 pics of this, one from when the ads were on the other when the show was back from commercial. these two pics were taken from my tablet's webcam pointed at my TV set, so sorry for the quality

Interesting.  I guess this means that TWC finally (after over a year) found a way to display weather information during long-form to viewers with the National Feed?  I'm actually curious to know how this is done, as the bar is still transparent.  I always assumed that in the past, with the opaque bars, the national LDL always cued, and a local STAR LDL would cue over the national one.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #9439 on: February 19, 2015, 01:26:39 AM »
anyway, moving on, i was channel surfing and ran into The Weather Channel HD Feed on Dish ch. 214 (Dish is my provider) which right now is airing "Highway Thru Hell", and i noticed now you see the the time and temp for all the cities in the US on the bottom half of th screen during the show and even on the ad break, the local forcecast is still shown. i checked the SD feed too and it's only on the HD Feed. in fact i have taken 2 pics of this, one from when the ads were on the other when the show was back from commercial. these two pics were taken from my tablet's webcam pointed at my TV set, so sorry for the quality

Wow, interesting pics!  :blink:  I guess Dish must have gotten an IntelliSTAR 2 unit installed at their headend, specifically to only display the national weather info during long-form on the HD feed. I wonder if it's possible for TWC to send out an update to the Dish SD IntelliSTAR (if they still have it) to do the same thing during long-form on the SD channel.  :thinking:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #9440 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
Well....Just watched TWC (had to see it for myself)and indeed FINALLY!!, DISH has true WATT! I knew right when WATT started, TWC didn't bother with WATT during longform for DISH & DTV. So glad to see that's finally changed! What's interesting tonight is they have a Winter Storm Pandora Banner that stays on though out Weather Caught On Camera. You think TWC is trying a little harder because the position NBC News is in? TWC is somewhat tied into NBC News.

Anyone know if DTV got the upgrade as well? If I remember correctly, doesn't TWC SD on cable have full WATT? So, it can't just be IS2s that has it.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #9441 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
Yes the TWC SD feed on cable always has the local forecast graphic at the bottom.

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: February 23, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
Can anyone with Dish Network check during Longform and let me know if the SD channel has the National City Forecasts at the bottom?  The HD is working but was looking for confirmation that the SD is also working.  Thanks.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #9443 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
Can anyone with Dish Network check during Longform and let me know if the SD channel has the National City Forecasts at the bottom?  The HD is working but was looking for confirmation that the SD is also working.  Thanks.

It's not working on the SD channel right now.

Offline Weatherman99

• TWC was great! How about now?
    • View Profile
    • Weatherman99 on YouTube
« Reply #9444 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:14 PM »
I'm not seeing any LDL on my HD channel. Is it only for satellite TV?

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #9445 on: February 27, 2015, 03:02:28 AM »

as of late Thursday night (Feb. 26)/early Friday morning (Feb. 27) at 2:00 AM CT, the SD feed now has the LDL Time and National City Forecast at the bottom.

so now both SD and HD feeds of The Weather Channel now has the time and National weather forecast.

edit: now with photo proof, these pics were taken from my old camera phone that is only being used as a alarm clock/camera.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:32:04 AM by willh699 »

Offline TJTWX

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Bright House
  • HD Channel #: 1328
  • SD Channel #: 28
« Reply #9446 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »

as of late Thursday night (Feb. 26)/early Friday morning (Feb. 27) at 2:00 AM CT, the SD feed now has the LDL Time and National City Forecast at the bottom.

so now both SD and HD feeds of The Weather Channel now has the time and National weather forecast.

edit: now with photo proof, these pics were taken from my old camera phone that is only being used as a alarm clock/camera.

Its about time. Only took a year lol.
News Music Fan, Weather Geek, and TWC Fan!
From the Pittsburgh area, in case you couldn't tell by my avatar.
Now living in Indiana, and loving it here!
Favorite station is WTAE Pittsburgh's Action News 4 in the Pgh area; tie between CBS4, FOX59, and WISH-TV here in Indy
Follow me on Twitter @TJTempleWX!

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #9447 on: February 27, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
Some news on TWC's ratings this month... AMHQ is doing better than ever, live programs are up 20% since this time last year, long form is up 47%. TWC's highest rated daytime program is the weekend 9-12 slot, so it's easy to see why they want to move Maria there (when is that going to happen?)

http://www.multichannel.com/news/news-articles/winter-storms-drive-weather-channel-ratings/388442
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:59:01 PM by alex979 »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: February 27, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
Why is there no WATT during longform tonight??

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:38 PM »
Why is there no WATT during longform tonight??
Never mind, its on now. Are they having problems tonight?