April 25, 2024, 06:13:10 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1889771 times)

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #9600 on: December 26, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »
Just checking the Dish guide and TWC will have coverage of Winter Storm "Goliath" from 2 to 6PM PT today then from 9AM to 8PM PT tomorrow.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #9601 on: December 26, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »
TWC was live from 5PM-10PM ET covering the storms. Storm Alert music did not play until 9:18 ET. Overall, TWC did a good job covering the storms but they did went to longform at 10PM ET. I assume they were shorthanded today.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:22:59 PM by Adrian »

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #9602 on: December 27, 2015, 12:10:53 AM »
i was disappointed with them wrapping up at 9 PM CT, but at least they did just as good of a job covering it as i live in North Texas, the storms were pretty bad and i think The Weather Channel was the first place where i saw the tornado that stuck the Dallas/Rockwall County line in the Lake Ray Hubbard area in Garland and Rowlett.

this tornado outbreak was pretty bad, but the worse hit areas were in Dallas, Rockwall, Collin and Ellis counties.

my home of Campbell, which is in Hunt County was spared the worse of the weather, but my thoughts and prayers to those in the hard hit areas affected by the tornado outbreak.

also i got give The Weather Channel a A, WeatherNation a B+, and WFAA Channel 8 (the ABC station in the DFW area), KDFW Fox 4, KTVT CBS 11, KXAS NBC 5, News-talk 820 AM WBAP (which aired their coverage at point on all of the Cumulus owned radio stations in the DFW area as Cumulus owns WBAP, and also WBAP is DFW primary EAS station for EAS alerts) and News Radio 1080 AM KRLD and 88.9 KETR out of Commerce (local NPR station owned by Texas A&M University of Commerce) a A+ for their severe weather coverage tonight. in North TX, 88.9 for closer to home for me, and the rest of the DFW TV and Radio stations for DFW area coverage.

and all the local stations just wrapped up their coverage just a while ago, KXAS ended their coverage first at 10:30 PM, then WFAA wrapped it up a short time later as did KDFW fox 4, then CBS 11 KTVT was the last to wrap it up.

i have a feeling this will end up being ranked a EF3 to EF5 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale by the NWS 

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #9603 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
Sam Champion will be back on ABC's Good Morning America filling-in for a couple of days. I wonder when will his TWC primetime show will debut but I predict that Sam will be gone from TWC by the end of this year.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/sam-champion-returns-to-gma-for-a-while/280881
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:14:45 AM by Adrian »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #9604 on: January 05, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »
Sam Champion will be back on ABC's Good Morning America filling-in for a couple of days. I wonder when will his TWC primetime show will debut but I predict that Sam will be gone from TWC by the end of this year.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/sam-champion-returns-to-gma-for-a-while/280881

So, how did Sam manage that?? is he taking a leave from TWC to this? I can't imanage TWC would give him their blessing since it's a different company and TWC is still with NBC correct?

Don't get wrong, it's wonderful he's helping Ginger/ABC out and should be an intresting week at GMA next week. I'm jist wondering how he worked it out, that's all.

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #9605 on: January 11, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
I was surprised to see Marshall Seese pop up on AMHQ this morning. Stephanie just gave him a quick shout out on camera as he was just visiting, but it was still nice to see him.

https://twitter.com/jencarfagno/status/686532314524979201

Offline willh699

• View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: January 21, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
looks like Winter Storm Jonas will be a major player in the east coast. and because of that, The Weather Channel seems to be doing extended coverage, as according to the listing on Dish, they will be live till Midnight ET/ 11 PM CT.

the listings that confirmed the extended coverage of Jonas are:
Weather Underground: 5-8 PM CT
Winter Storm Jonas: A Special Report: 8-11 PM CT.

i would like to wish everyone in Jonas' current path that will get the blizzard and severe weather good luck at staying safe from the storm.

we here in North Texas were feeling Jonas' wrath earlier with rain and hail, but not really bad severe stuff, but he's moving away from North Texas now.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: January 23, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I have been disappointed in TWC's coverage of this winter storm.  It doesn't seem like they're in true "Storm Alert" mode.  For starters, there's no alert music being played on the LOT8s, although that's not a big deal.  But I thought for a storm of this magnitude they typically have limited commercial breaks and show the LOT8s once every half-our (usually just before the bottom and top of the hour).  However, when I've been watching last night and this morning they have had no problem airing 10 to 15 minutes of commercials every half hour and showing all the LOT8s.  It's also frustrating when the meteorologists have been in the middle of or just starting a long explanation when the music cues up, and they have to abruptly end what they were saying before the commercial break cues.

I guess I should be happy they're doing extended coverage at all and not showing long-form, but I feel like they could be doing a better job.

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #9608 on: January 24, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »
To my surprise, TWC is still doing live coverage all day today, even though they're really just recapping everything that already happened.

Offline iKJames

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1370
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • SD WxStar ID #: 26213
« Reply #9609 on: January 24, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
As of 9:17pm ET they are no longer live, unsure what time they stopped - maybe 8pm or 9pm?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #9610 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:22 PM »
As of 9:17pm ET they are no longer live, unsure what time they stopped - maybe 8pm or 9pm?

Jenn Lopez and Carl Parker wrapped up at 9 and then rolled into new episodes of Prospectors and Highway Through Hell. They pick back up with AMHQ starting at 5.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #9611 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
Dunno if anyone else has mentioned this but TWC has a twitter account that posts updates on TWC scheduling, including when they will be doing extended live coverage.

https://twitter.com/TWCProgramming

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #9612 on: February 01, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »
Dunno if anyone else has mentioned this but TWC has a twitter account that posts updates on TWC scheduling, including when they will be doing extended live coverage.

https://twitter.com/TWCProgramming
Are you sure its an official account? The logo looks weird and doesn't look right. :unsure:
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #9613 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
Good point, but I found it because Jim Cantore retweeted from it yesterday.

Offline willh699

• View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:42 AM »
if it's indeed an account created by TWC just to let normal viewers know of any programming changes brought on by severe weather, then this would be a great use of Twitter to warn viewers of a programming change

also if it is a Weather Channel official account (and if so it will get "Verified" check symbol on it's twitter page), then the logo looking weird and not right could be a hint of an impending logo change.

the current logo is now 10 and a half years old as it debut in the August 2005 relaunch of TWC and been the logo since then despite minor changes which are logo color changes.

plus i would mind it being the "Updated 2016" logo as they were due up for it anyway.