March 28, 2024, 06:11:13 AM

Author Topic: IntelliSTAR 1 Simulator | May 2016 (1.6b)  (Read 30873 times)

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
IntelliSTAR 1 Simulator | May 2016 (1.6b)
« on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
Well, hello! I've made an IntelliSTAR Simulator and I thought it would be cool to share it with the people of TWC Today!
Video showing the emulator on YouTube here.

Public beta now out for the April 2016 IS1 Emulator!

[spoiler=EULA]The IntelliSTAR Simulator is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
The full CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 license that is legally binding can be located here.
Short EULA; long one coming soon.
As IntelliSTAR Simulator(here and hereafter referred to as the ‘Program’) is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, that means you cannot share the Program without giving credit to Precise/@Italics. You may NOT use the Program for commercial uses such as using it in a YouTube video and monetizing it to get money off of my work. You may be able to monetize the video if you send me a PM on TWCToday asking me to add an exception so you can monetize it. Read the OP about the EULA changes. You must require a written form of agreement allowing you to use this program commercially. You may NOT build upon, transform, and or remix the Program.[/spoiler]

Change Log:
Code: [Select]
1.1beta:
  + Added products: The Week Ahead.
  * Tweaked around the simulator.
1.0beta:
  + Added products: Now and Local Forecast.

DOWNLOAD (download the 1.6b update): Click here to download the simulator from HockeyApp(a beta distribution platform).
Oh yeah, first post on TWCToday.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:54:45 PM by FNCxPro »

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
  • Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
Re: IntelliSTAR Emulator [ DOWNLOAD, NOT POWERPOINT ]
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Wow! It's quite impressive, based from the video provided. I'll try it out.  :yes:

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
IntelliSTAR Emulation #1-2. 1: Detroit, 2: Baker,FL.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
I'm an idiot and I double posted.

Video: https://youtu.be/t0SoLPd3zgs

Best part: Has narrations

Music: Emergency Feed - Track 03 (don't ask why I chose EF music.)

Made by: Guess.

Improvements: Remade narrations and added The Week Ahead narration. Added Alert screen.

Hint(of the next emulation): ALERTS ALERTS ALERTS!

IntelliSTAR Emulation #2 : Baker, FL : Flash Flood Warning!

Video: https://youtu.be/NA3uJvaHL3g

Best part: HAS ALERTS!!! ZOMG!!! WORLD IS ENDING

Music: Trammell Starks - Season on Edge / Do You Believe

Made by: Guess.

Improvements: Alert screen is shown in this emulation.

Funny Part: "With a 'Light Rain'."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:55:43 PM by FNCxPro »

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:06:03 AM »
I'll give it a shot.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
  • Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
I've tried to get the emulator to run on my computer, but so far, no luck. No matter what screen resolution I set it to (highest I can get to is 1366x768 on my laptop), I can't see the LDL (which according to your instructions, is where the temperature indicator is located where you change the settings) at all. It's great overall, but it needs support for lower resolutions, and perhaps a fullscreen mode. I can't wait to see what you add next, though. :yes:

Offline boyercam

• Bringing The Weather Channel to the UK
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:19:37 AM »
Looks nice, What language are you using?

I must also mention that if you're uploading footage to Youtube read the ELUA for this. There's one point that might sting some people.

WxStar XL Web Emulator: http://cameronboyer.tk/wsxl/

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
I got lazy in September and programmed it in VB.net but soon I'm thinking of porting it over to C#.

As for the EULA, you can upload it but can't monetize it. I'd just have to trust you, but if you really wanted to monetize it, send me a PM with your YouTube username/channel name, channel link, and a short paragraph explaining why you want to monetize it. Chances are I'll let you monetize the videos. I'll add in the EULA that you can monetize a video if you have a written exception.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
My comments:
  • Lower the resolution to standard NTSC resolution. The IntelliStar was developed with the NTSC standard in mind, and it isn't HD. Stretch any element, and you'll face image degradation as these are rasterized graphics you are working with. If you haven't already, try converting the .TIFF files to .PNG. If I remember correctly, converting those and applying different filters will achieve a nearly authentic data container like the real IS.
  • Look into some kind of SDK that will allow you to take better advantage of video processing/rendering. I know XNA is what Bill used over at Taiganet, but is no longer supported by Microsoft. Anything that will help render the image in a smoother way will help. It'll prevent the text from turning into "blocks" of random color as it draws the text or element to the form.
  • I emphasize learning C# or C++/Obj-C. Problem with Objective C if I remember correctly is Cocoa really shines with it, and is only available in OS X. I'd also play around with rendering techniques so you can manipulate elements as the program is running (such as fluid transitions, fading elements, etc).

Other than that, it's nice to see someone attempting this. I remember someone else tried this but the project feel off of the face of the planet. I'll probably blame inexperience in programming as the root cause for that projects dismissal. Play around with some stuff, get familiar with the language you want to program it in... then take a whack at it. Programming languages for the most part (aside from .NET languages), is as powerful as the programmer is. Don't take shortcuts and you'll have a nice little program going on :yes: Oh, if I may ask, what drove you to use Detroit as demo in that one video you posted?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:42:00 PM by curtjr4 »

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »
So, going with your first comment, I see a good reason to recode the emulator and use NTSC resolution so most monitors will be able to fit it on their screen. That will make it easier on me, and on the users of the emulator.
Your second comment brings up a good point. .NET forms aren't the best for rendering stuff quickly. If you look at most of my demos for the IS emu, you'll see the "The Week Ahead" slide fail to catch up to render the icons and text.
Your third comment is telling me to learn C#, which I am already fluent in. I will be recoding this emulator in C# with XNA to make rendering so much better, and make it easier for old computers to run.

Lastly, you asked me why I use Detroit as the city for my demos. My local IntelliSTAR uses Detroit as the city to get the forecast for. That is why I use it for my IntelliSTAR emulations.
tl;dr: I will most likely be recoding the emulator in C#, use NTSC res, use XNA(most likely, no guarantee), and I will take suggestions.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
So, going with your first comment, I see a good reason to recode the emulator and use NTSC resolution so most monitors will be able to fit it on their screen. That will make it easier on me, and on the users of the emulator.
Your second comment brings up a good point. .NET forms aren't the best for rendering stuff quickly. If you look at most of my demos for the IS emu, you'll see the "The Week Ahead" slide fail to catch up to render the icons and text.
Your third comment is telling me to learn C#, which I am already fluent in. I will be recoding this emulator in C# with XNA to make rendering so much better, and make it easier for old computers to run.

Lastly, you asked me why I use Detroit as the city for my demos. My local IntelliSTAR uses Detroit as the city to get the forecast for. That is why I use it for my IntelliSTAR emulations.
tl;dr: I will most likely be recoding the emulator in C#, use NTSC res, use XNA(most likely, no guarantee), and I will take suggestions.
Maybe also look into Unity3D. Very powerful graphics engine, considering you're doing some intense graphic work (from a programming standpoint). XNA would work, but it isn't a **great** option as it is deprecated... with Unity3D, you can export to virtually any platform (iOS, Unix/Linux, OS X, Windows) using either C# (I'd recommend using Mono's IDE, not Visual Studio) or JavaScript B) Only caveat to using Unity3D, however, is it will show a one second Unity3D splash screen when the program starts. It's worth looking into in my opinion. And contrary to the name Unity3D, you can build 2D programs in there. You just have to get familiar with the workspace and how to manipulate cameras, scenes, etc.

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
IntelliSTAR Emulator October 2015 update.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
Halloween is here, and the IS emulator is also here! It has a special message in the ad crawl for Martin Cornick, who is one of the admins of TWCToday. He has passed away recently. The download for the October 2015 update is in the OP. The rewrite will be in November or December. Enjoy your holidays, and have a nice month!

RIP Martin Cornick.

Offline MasterLoopy

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
Re: IntelliSTAR Emulator | October 2015 [ DOWNLOAD, NOT POWERPOINT ]
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
How exactly do you get this emulator to work? Like changing the text to it.

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
Re: IntelliSTAR 1 Emulator | Public Beta | April 2016 [ DOWNLOAD ]
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
1.1b of the IntelliSTAR 1 Emulator has been released! It is very buggy. Please reply with any feedback you have about the rewrite of the emulator. Download link is in the OP. Thanks!

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: IntelliSTAR 1 Emulator | Public Beta | April 2016 [ DOWNLOAD ]
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:48 PM »
1.1b of the IntelliSTAR 1 Emulator has been released! It is very buggy. Please reply with any feedback you have about the rewrite of the emulator. Download link is in the OP. Thanks!

Might you have a youtube video of this in operation?

Offline FNCxPro

• View Profile
Re: IntelliSTAR 1 Emulator | Public Beta | May 2016 [ DOWNLOAD ]
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
New emulator video and also new release!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROSjTRLYNs