March 28, 2024, 06:50:36 PM

Author Topic: Web Intellistar Emulator  (Read 30776 times)

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Web Intellistar Emulator
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and not familiar with how things work around here so pardon my mistakes. I've been working on an intellistar emulator that runs natively in a web browser. It is far from finished but wanted to share it and see what you guys think. One thing I'm missing is all the icons so I would really appreciate if anyone could send me those in SVG format. Below is the link to download and source code.

All the information including instructions and screenshots can be found here:
https://github.com/qconrad/intellistar-emulator

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:19:30 PM by vortexshedding »

Offline Sky 9 Weather

• Sky 9 Weather
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Web Intellistar Emulator
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »
The emulator is awesome! :thrilled: I kinda want to see whats next in the development. Good Luck :happy:

Offline 22appaar

• Weather Geek
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1102
  • SD Channel #: 44
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
 :clap: Amazing!
You are so talented!
Don't you just love the weather?
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_R9Mj-W2nKK_V6PAZv2KBQ

Offline Sky 9 Weather

• Sky 9 Weather
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Is there any reason why the icons need to be in a .SGV file format? (I'm not trying to be rude or picky) The only icons in a .SGV file is from the TWC Website ,but they cannot be distributed or used because of copyright issues.

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
Is there any reason why the icons need to be in a .SGV file format? (I'm not trying to be rude or picky) The only icons in a .SGV file is from the TWC Website ,but they cannot be distributed or used because of copyright issues.

Well, I supposed they don't have to be SVG format. But it is preferred because they take up less space, are faster to load, and scale perfectly on any size display. JSON icons would work similarly too. But at this point, I would be happy to have the animated icons in any format.

Offline Branden123

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: AT&T U-Verse
  • HD Channel #: 1225
  • SD Channel #: 225
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:39:51 PM »
 I made a video testing your emulator : https://youtu.be/3wM-6PFOlc4, its awesome i also mentioned in the video that its in Beta , i also added some Christmas music for my own entertainment ,  i really you hope finish this into a complete version. Good Luck :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:45:24 PM by Branden123 »
BA

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »
I made a video testing your emulator : https://youtu.be/3wM-6PFOlc4, its awesome i also mentioned in the video that its in Beta , i also added some Christmas music for my own entertainment ,  i really you hope finish this into a complete version. Good Luck :)

Thanks for testing and sharing. The Christmas music is also a nice touch. I think I'm going to add more settings like custom backgrounds, music, crawl text, etc. A lot of the development is waiting on icons but stay tuned for updates. ;)

Offline 22appaar

• Weather Geek
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1102
  • SD Channel #: 44
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Well, the backgrounds and crawl text is easy. You can just replace the files with a picture with certain dimensions. Crawl text, you can just go into the code and locate it.
Don't you just love the weather?
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_R9Mj-W2nKK_V6PAZv2KBQ

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
Well, the backgrounds and crawl text is easy. You can just replace the files with a picture with certain dimensions. Crawl text, you can just go into the code and locate it.

That's true. I wanted to make it easy to be able to change it. But I figured I would throw it into the UI so people don't have to fiddle with JavaScript and replace 10 backgrounds and 11 music files.

Offline Branden123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
 thank you so much for the update 
 2 questions:
will the now slide have the current conditions , wind , gusts , feels like etc. in future development? will the radar have two different views  in a non - alert situation?
BA

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
thank you so much for the update 
 2 questions:
will the now slide have the current conditions , wind , gusts , feels like etc. in future development? will the radar have two different views  in a non - alert situation?

Yes, all of that information on the current conditions are coming. As far as the page order and timings, I couldn't find a pattern in what pages are shown when and how long as they seem to be inconsistent when I was watching some YouTube videos. All I know is that they all total up to 60 seconds so that they end with the music. The page order and timings, I kind of just made up. They are the first 4 lines of js/script.js if you would like to mess with them. Let me know if you find a better order or timings.

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
Also, here is my testing of timings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MlxTV6bF5Tj1Z8F_hl4jGCb-GaYWqyk5kFdokYVImlA/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you see a pattern or suggested changes.

Offline Branden123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
 here is some temporary icons , and im trying to get real animated icons and i fixed an error on the icon placeholder for the Narrative icons because it had it set to "icon.src = 'assets/icons/conditions/' + outlookIcon +'.svg' so it was getting the wrong ones and it is supposed to be icon.src = 'assets/icons/conditions/' + forecastIcon +'.svg' and i changed it and now the icons match up :) and can you please add a icon place holder for current condition?
and here are some temporary icons from weather underground that matches up the names  https://github.com/manifestinteractive/weather-underground-icons/tree/master/dist , ill let you know when i have the real deal icons :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:24:25 AM by Branden123 »
BA

Offline vortexshedding

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
Ahh good catch. Fixed the forecast and added an icon placeholder for the current conditions. I am aware of weather underground's icon sets, but I would like to wait until I have the original looking ones.

Offline Branden123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:31:46 AM »
hey thanks for adding the placeholder theres an issue i fixed in the javascript but its the api's fault , its relating with the current conditions icon , at night the api's current icon does not change from day to night for example  "partlycloudy" does not change to "nt_partlycloudy" and its for all icons its just doesnt put the nt_ at night and at all so the emulator picks up the day icons 24/7 (and keep in mind the api only did this to the current icons) so i fixed that by doing this and it works well for me , add this to  the debug info and afterwords put 2 brackets instead of 1 so it clears the error and dont worry about the forecast icons and outlook icons the api has it completely fine its only the current that has the issue

var currentTime = new Date();
  if(currentTime.getHours() > 5 && currentTime.getHours() < 19){
  document.getElementById('ccicon').src = 'assets/icons/conditions/' + currentIcon +'.svg';
  }else{ document.getElementById('ccicon').src = 'assets/icons/conditions/nt_' + currentIcon +'.svg';
}
}
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:37:36 AM by Branden123 »
BA