March 28, 2024, 06:14:45 AM

Author Topic: TWC Classics design contest  (Read 7104 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
TWC Classics design contest
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
I have been looking for a new design for TWCC for about a year now. So far I've come up empty. Sure, I've found a lot of things I like on sites, but I haven't been able to pin down an overall design or theme. And that includes looking at pre-made templates that you can download for free or a fee. Seeing as how there are a lot of talented artists here, I thought I'd open it up to all of you. Here's what I'm looking for...

- The overall design should be clean (not cramped or cluttered) and look professional (no designs in Paint).

- Medium-sized round corners, curvy edges, and slanted edges are cool. Anything but boxes!

- The color scheme should be warm and welcoming (maybe orange and blue).

- Subtle nods to TWC and/or weather would be nice (the isobars in the WeatherSTAR XL V1 are an example of a "subtle" nod to weather).

- For the logo, I was thinking about a slightly pealed blue sticker with "TWCC" in it (there are tons of PS tutorials on this). But that's just an idea.

- The logo should allow subtle nods to holidays to be incorporated as needed (like the forum logo here).

- Items in the layout (ie. search, navigation links, etc) should stay where they are when possible.

So if you're interested, please post your ideas here (or send me a PM)! I'll keep the contest open until I find a design I like. If you have any questions, let me know. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:35:34 PM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
Re: TWC Classics design contest
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »
Wow, no one is interested? Usually when Martin or Jesse have a contest to design a logo, they get flooded with submissions! :o
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:58:30 PM »
Wow, no one is interested? Usually when Martin or Jesse have a contest to design a logo, they get flooded with submissions! :o
Give it a few days.... I posted a forum logo design contest and so far no submissions... Don't feel bad. Also, not all of the TWCC forums people have made it over here yet too... There's a lot of factors.

Might I suggest a few less specifics... like for instance, you want rounded corners and NO boxes... That may turn a lot of people off who don't know how to do rounded corners, as it's a bit of CSS work to get right in most browsers. Rethinking might get some attention.

Hopefully this helps a bit...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:02:07 PM by jtmal0723 »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »
Matt,

I'm not that great at an entire website design, but I would LOVE to make the logo. :biggrin: :wub: Experimenting with the "peeled-sticker" effect sounds fun. Please give me some time, though, as I am very busy with school and stuff.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
* Martin pokes everyone

Get moving :P

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
Might I suggest a few less specifics... like for instance, you want rounded corners and NO boxes... That may turn a lot of people off who don't know how to do rounded corners, as it's a bit of CSS work to get right in most browsers. Rethinking might get some attention.

I should clarify on that. I don't mean ALL rounded corners, just in general. Kind of like this forum. There are a lot of rounded corners, but there are also some boxes.

I'm not that great at an entire website design, but I would LOVE to make the logo. :biggrin: :wub: Experimenting with the "peeled-sticker" effect sounds fun. Please give me some time, though, as I am very busy with school and stuff.

If you just want to make certain parts of the site, that is fine too. I have no problem taking individual submissions and pulling them together to make a complete design.

Also, when I said "Wow, no one is interested?" I wasn't expecting quick submissions, but I did think that there would be at least a few people who'd say they were willing to give it a shot.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
Give it a few days.... I posted a forum logo design contest and so far no submissions... Don't feel bad. Also, not all of the TWCC forums people have made it over here yet too... There's a lot of factors.

Hopefully this helps a bit...

I'm willing to take a stab at it, but obligations in real life prevent me from doing so soon. Tomorrow and next weekend are taken, maybe even more weekdays after that. (Gee, thanks, school trips.) I'm sure to be free on May 25th and beyond. (I'll be out of school then.) I already have the peeled sticker down in Inkscape, since I'm on a quite low budget...as in $0.00. :P Will work in my freetime, but that won't be much.