March 28, 2024, 12:52:49 PM

Author Topic: Runtime Error  (Read 19270 times)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: Runtime Error
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:27 AM »
Sorry, didn't see that. But yes, I did rebuild my config, several times, and the error still occurs.

i checked one thing on the regional observations that you use for state college.. which may have produced that error, however everything else seems fine. it runs for me.. tell me how well it runs for you.. if your seeing a message about index out of bounds and your using windows vista, please tell us.

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:32 AM »
Sorry, didn't see that. But yes, I did rebuild my config, several times, and the error still occurs.

i checked one thing on the regional observations that you use for state college.. which may have produced that error, however everything else seems fine. it runs for me.. tell me how well it runs for you.. if your seeing a message about index out of bounds and your using windows vista, please tell us.
Changing State College to New York City had no effect, and still produced the error.

This system is running Windows XP SP3.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »

Changing State College to New York City had no effect, and still produced the error.

This system is running Windows XP SP3.
it runs 100% fine for me without a problem. it seems as though your potenitally exhibiting a permission problem.. because this seems to be a big issue stemming from the way the installer is installing the program, i will check to see if theres any other installers i can use to do the install that wont cause this problem.

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
it runs 100% fine for me without a problem. it seems as though your potenitally exhibiting a permission problem.. because this seems to be a big issue stemming from the way the installer is installing the program, i will check to see if theres any other installers i can use to do the install that wont cause this problem.
Well, I'm no expert, but my educated guess (as I said earlier) is that it's spitting this error out because it's expecting some file to be there that isn't on a new install. For example:
  • My current, extended, forecast, local and marine folders are completely empty. The maps folders have some background graphics, but are otherwise devoid of content as well. Each of those folders has an "out" folder, which is completely empty. The only folders not empty are the main and icons folders.
  • The settings.ini only contains a blank space and then my CINE login. Is there supposed to be more in there?
I don't want to sound demanding, and I thank both you and Martin for this program, trust me. I want to get it to run as much as you do, so I do thank you both for your help and wish it was less frustrating for you both to track down. :P

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »
Well, I'm no expert, but my educated guess (as I said earlier) is that it's spitting this error out because it's expecting some file to be there that isn't on a new install. For example:
  • My current, extended, forecast, local and marine folders are completely empty. The maps folders have some background graphics, but are otherwise devoid of content as well. Each of those folders has an "out" folder, which is completely empty. The only folders not empty are the main and icons folders.
  • The settings.ini only contains a blank space and then my CINE login. Is there supposed to be more in there?
I don't want to sound demanding, and I thank both you and Martin for this program, trust me. I want to get it to run as much as you do, so I do thank you both for your help and wish it was less frustrating for you both to track down. :P

I want you to try these things:
-Access the folder c:\wsxl from your explorer
-Right-Click the update.exe and run as administrator, that application. once its done to download and it starts the emulator, use task manager to kill the process (shows as wsxl.exe).
-Right-Click setaffil.exe and run as administrator, set your ID in there: DarkPulse .. then save and exit.
-Right-Click wsxl.exe and run as administrator

In the event your emulator needs to register again, I flushed the server stored key to allow your emulator to register again. Try that and let us know the progress.

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
Well, I got good news and bad news.

The good news is, I did indeed get this to work... though not through the steps that cc posted. (No fault of his own; I had an epiphany and what I thought of worked.)

The bad news is, this demonstrates a flaw in your installer, and possibly even your program as a whole. :P

Here's the gist of things:
  • My main hard drive - where Windows is installed - is D:\ and not C:\. This becomes very important. Therefore, my WSXL installation is at D:\wsxl, not C:\wsxl.
  • Obviously, it would not run from D:\wsxl, providing the error mentioned. However, due to how oddly my system is set up, any USB stick I plug in is detected as the C:\ drive.
  • Long story short, I stuck a USB stick in, copied over my WSXL folder, ran from the stick. Bam. Instantly began to update, and ran perfectly afterward - from the USB stick.

So the gist of this is, it's TOO hardcoded. If the user does NOT have Windows - or rather, WSXL - on a drive that is their C:\ drive, the program simply will not run, and never will, for love, money, or bribery.

Only problem is, until you guys fix this, the only way I can run this program is to run it from a USB stick - unless someone knows how to change Windows drive letters without borking the whole system and requiring a new install. :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:23:22 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
Well, I got good news and bad news.

The good news is, I did indeed get this to work... though not through the steps that cc posted. (No fault of his own; I had an epiphany and what I thought of worked.)

The bad news is, this demonstrates a flaw in your installer, and possibly even your program as a whole. :P

Here's the gist of things:
  • My main hard drive - where Windows is installed - is D:\ and not C:\. This becomes very important. Therefore, my WSXL installation is at D:\wsxl, not C:\wsxl.
  • Obviously, it would not run from D:\wsxl, providing the error mentioned. However, due to how oddly my system is set up, any USB stick I plug in is detected as the C:\ drive.
  • Long story short, I stuck a USB stick in, copied over my WSXL folder, ran from the stick. Bam. Instantly began to update, and ran perfectly afterward - from the USB stick.

So the gist of this is, it's TOO hardcoded. If the user does NOT have Windows - or rather, WSXL - on a drive that is their C:\ drive, the program simply will not run, and never will, for love, money, or bribery.

Only problem is, until you guys fix this, the only way I can run this program is to run it from a USB stick - unless someone knows how to change Windows drive letters without borking the whole system and requiring a new install. :P

this is a weird experience that your having.. the design of the program is made to be portable to so it can be in any directory on any drive and should work, simply in the event that a system drive is not on drive C, but is elsewhere.. although i do not have a system to test that situation. i am glad you did get the emulator running, but its not running in a fashion that i would say thats acceptible.

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
this is a weird experience that your having.. the design of the program is made to be portable to so it can be in any directory on any drive and should work, simply in the event that a system drive is not on drive C, but is elsewhere.. although i do not have a system to test that situation. i am glad you did get the emulator running, but its not running in a fashion that i would say thats acceptible.
Well, I did test it for you just now. :p

D:\wsxl\wsxl.exe = File Open Error.

C:\wsxl\wsxl.exe = Perfectly running emulator.

If I run it off Drive D, it accesses the USB stick (Drive C) and then will run perfectly, but without it, there's the error. Something is definitely assuming that the program is on Drive C. To further test this, I copied the folder to another hard drive I have, which is Drive E, and I got the exact same error. This location would also run if the USB stick was inserted to create a drive C.

The only logical conclusion, then, is that right now, the emulator will not run if it is on any other drive C drive. It fails when it tries to update, spitting out that error.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »
you know what.. i think i know what its doing.. i think i was testing something awhile ago and it wrote a file in the root of C:\ and i never removed it.. some graphic for something, cant remember though, but now that you reminded me, i should go remove that part :)

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
you know what.. i think i know what its doing.. i think i was testing something awhile ago and it wrote a file in the root of C:\ and i never removed it.. some graphic for something, cant remember though, but now that you reminded me, i should go remove that part :)
You might be right. There is a PNG file in C, the only file besides the wsxl folder. ix_test01.png to be specific. 644x484x24BPP PNG file, 1kb.

This file was *NOT* there originally, so it was definitely created by the emulator. It is also not in any of the other two installs.

That must be it then. I hope. :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:39:49 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline LOT8MANIS

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1102
  • HD WxStar ID #: 32475
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20902
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »
    I'm aware this thread is about the previous runtime error, but I recently got a runtime error including the phrase "Run-time error" then it says '35600': all included on the first line. The second line simply says "Index out of bounds". The affiliate ID is WdstkGA1. Will one of you either Brian or Martin please fix this? Thank you.
Wesley Millsap

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
Data server is down it will be back later tonight

Offline JamesBJSU

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 736
  • HD WxStar ID #: 00864
  • SD Channel #: 41
  • SD WxStar ID #: 00864
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
For those having problems, please post your id

JamesBJSU

I've tried in both Windows 7 and the Windows XP mode.  Both come with the same error message...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:13:08 PM by JamesBJSU »

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
What is your user ID, ill check into this for you..