March 28, 2024, 06:37:10 AM

Author Topic: Bad Moon Phases and Temps?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
Bad Moon Phases and Temps?
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
I already posted one of the two images here in the "N/A Icons" thread, but just to make sure other things are pointed out...

1) For some reason, the temperatures here are wrong. Today has no low, and the temperatures for Wednesday and Thursday are NOT going to be that low. :P

2) Moon phases and Almanac is completely borked.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Bad Moon Phases and Temps?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
First off the missing low temp for Today is normal. Look on TWC or your local news. Low temps occur in the mornings (in most cases) and there is no point in showing them once that time has passed. As for the other temps, I myself have had that error and in most cases it corrects itself. I forgot why it does that exactly. Brian will have to fill us in on that.

As for the almanac. That data has to be entered manually by Brian. He is working on finding a way to automate the process.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
I also noticed the sunset and sunrise times are an hour ahead, like what's in his screenshot (this happens here too). Any way this can be fixed?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:01:34 AM »
the sunrise sunset is actually correct, although i believe its using daylight savings time as the hour. as for the moon phases, some one person was supposed to help me with that particular part of the project, but never did! so the moon phases i never updated..

Offline Dark Pulse

• View Profile
    • Project2612
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
First off the missing low temp for Today is normal. Look on TWC or your local news. Low temps occur in the mornings (in most cases) and there is no point in showing them once that time has passed. As for the other temps, I myself have had that error and in most cases it corrects itself. I forgot why it does that exactly. Brian will have to fill us in on that.
Heh... my local news keeps showing highs and lows, oddly enough. Admittingly, I don't check out TWC as often as I should (heretical, I know!) so I didn't remember they stop showing lows in the afternoon. :P

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
I don't know if this will help or not but Weather Underground has information on their site for cities that include moon phases/dates and sunrise/sunset times, along with watch/warning/advisory information.  They also have the METAR information available.  Would there be a way to grab this information and automatically use that in the emulator for whatever location the user selects?  Hopefully the thought/information helps.  Here's the link to my location with the information on the page.  http://www.wunderground.com/US/ND/Grand_Forks.html

I would also assume that the information would be accessible through www.weather.com for whatever location you may want to choose, with information on current conditions, local forecast and extended outlook details as well to be shown in the emulator.  This may alleviate having to find the separate counties and zones for each!   :clap:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:50:52 PM by tuez13 »

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
I checked my sunrise/sunset data and the times were, in fact, incorrect in the emulator, along with the moon phases/dates (which I know must be entered manually (which my first post refers to).  The emulator says 5:55AM-5:29PM when the actual is 7:51AM-7:27PM (according to NWS).  Do you think that the site I provided (or any other with that information) will help to make it more automated?